Awards & Accomplishments
Publications, Presentations and Posters
- Gerald Hefferman, Grayson Baird, David Swenson, Robert Ward, Mahesh Jayaraman, Shawna Cutting, Gaurav Jindal. Effects of multiphase versus single-phase CT angiography for the detection of distal cerebral vessel occlusion. Emergency Radiology. 2021 (in press).
- Elke Maurer, Christian Klinger, Roberto Lorbeer, Gerald Hefferman, Christopher Schlett, Anette Peters, Konstantin Nikolaou, Fabian Bamberg, Mike Notohamiprodjo, Sven Walter. Association Between Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Degenerative Disc Disease of the Thoracolumbar Spine in the General Population: Results from the KORA MRI Study. Acta Radiologica. 2021 (in press).
- Zhenyu Xu, Thomas Mauldin, Zheyi Yao, Gerald Hefferman, Tao Wei. A High-Performance, Reconfigurable, Fully Integrated Time-Domain Reflectometry Architecture Using Digital I/Os. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. 2021.
Chung CY, Jiang L, Balthazar P. The First American Board of Radiology’s Remote Core Exam: A Trainee’s Perspective. Radiology 2021 (in press).
- Chung CY, Jiang L, Hui FK, Baxter BW. The Tandem Occlusion. In: Hui FK, Spiotta AM, Alexander MJ, Hanel RA, Baxter BW, editors. 12 Strokes: A Case-based Guide to Acute Ischemic Stroke Management [Internet]. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2021 [cited 2021 Jan 19]. p. 207–25. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-56857-3_16
- A Jen, J Karimova, S Bachert, C Denison, S Lester, N Modi, S Chikarmane, D Kwait. “Predictive Value of Mammographic Architectural Distortion and Correlates Identified on US and MRI”. Presented at 2021 SBI/ACR Breast Imaging Symposium.
- Parker R, Dabiri B, Lepus C, Warsofsky I, Giardino A. AMSER Rad-Path Case of the Month. 2021 April.
Core Radiology was written by Jake Mandell, BWH residency class of 2013, with the assistance of over 30 co-resident and faculty contributors. Combining over 1,200 clinical images, 300 color illustrations by the author, and concise, bulleted text, Core Radiology is a comprehensive, up-to-date resource for learning, reference, and board review. The clearly-formatted design integrates the images and accompanying text, facilitating streamlined and efficient learning. Core Radiology is published by Cambridge University Press, 2013.
BWH Research Award
- 2018 – Sharath Bhagavatula, MD, Jeffrey Guenette, MD
- 2019 – Travis Caton, MD, Walter Wiggins, MD, Shahar Glomski, MD
- 2020 – Leigh Casadaban, MD
RSNA Roentgen Research Award
- 2018 – Sharath Bhagavatula, MD
- 2019 – Thomas Ng, MD
- 2020 – Nityanand Miskin, MD
Other Research Awards
- Nityanand Miskin was selected for ACR/AUR Research Scholar Program, and was one of the 20 selected to present research
- Kirti Magudia was awarded the Society of Abdominal Radiology Morton A. Bosniak Research Award for her project: Prediction of clinically significant prostate cancer and prostate-cancer related outcomes from only T2 weighted imaging using machine learning.
- Shahar Glomski, MD – Senior Resident Research Presentation Winner
George Marina Memorial Award for Excellence in Teaching
The George Marina Memorial Award for Excellence in Teaching
In 1979, the Residents in the Department of Radiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital established the George Marina Memorial Award to recognize one BWH Radiology faculty member each year for their exceptional contributions to Radiology Resident Education. The Award is bestowed annually, typically at the time of the graduation of senior residents.
The Award was inspired by the life and accomplishments of George Marina, MD, a BWH Radiology Resident from 1976 until his untimely death in 1979. George was an inspiring person. The son of Cuban refugees, he established himself as an outstanding medical professional and fell in love with the field of Radiology. In 1976, BWH Radiology (at that time named Peter Bent Brigham Hospital Radiology) introduced its class of four residents, including Drs. Marina, Jack Katz, Eric Mellencamp and Steven Seltzer. George quickly distinguished himself as a future leader in our field, with a passion for medical education. He became the Chief Resident in Radiology in 1978.
Tragically, Dr Marina died suddenly and unexpectedly in 1979 from a cardiovascular event, leaving behind a wife Judy and a young child. To memorialize his spirit, accomplishments and unclaimed potential, our Department established an annual Award in George’s name. The Award is given to the ‘Teacher of the Year’ on the BWH Radiology Faculty and the recipient is selected solely by our Radiology Residents. The Award is a fitting memorial to Dr Marina and fitting recognition of our appreciation for the great teachers in our midst.
- 2015 – Gregory Czuczman, MD
- 2016 – Jennifer Uyeda, MD
- 2017 – Leslie Lee, MD
- 2018 – Mark Hammer, MD
- 2019 – Jacob Mandell, MD
- 2021 Erika Chow was selected for the AUR Radiology Resident Academic Leadership Development (ARRALD).
- 2021 Clare Poynton was selected for the ACR-AUR Research Scholar program.
- 2021 Ariadne DeSimone received a scholarship award from Partners Center of Expertise in Health Policy and Management to attend a Health Policy course
- 2021 Gerald Hefferman was selected as the RSNA Resident Representative.
- 2020 Anh Tran received the In-Training Award, American Society of Head & Neck Radiology (2020)
- 2020 Ariadne DeSimone was selected to attend Harvard Macy Institute’s Program for Post-Graduate Trainees: Future Academic Clinician Educators
- 2020 Peter Schaefer received a scholarship award from the Society of Interventional Oncology (SIO) to attend the SIO 2020 annual conference (2020)
- 2020 Khushboo Jhala was selected as one of 35 candidates to participate in the AUR Radiology Resident Academic Leadership Development (ARRALD) Program at AUR 2020 (postponed due to COVID-19).
- 2019 Peter Schaefer received a scholarship award from the Harvard Business School and Partners Center of Expertise in Health Policy and Management to attend the Value-Based Healthcare Seminar at Harvard Business School (2019)
- 2019 Jisoo Kim was selected as one of 35 candidates to participate in the AUR Radiology Resident Academic Leadership Development (ARRALD) Program at AUR 2019.
- 2019 Kirti Magudia was named founding chair of the Resident and Fellows Sections of the Society of Abdominal Radiology (SAR)
- 2019 Ariadne DeSimone received a scholarship award from the Harvard Business School and Partners Center of Expertise in Health Policy and Management to attend the Value-Based Healthcare Seminar at Harvard Business School
- 2019 Ariadne DeSimone received a travel award from the Massachusetts Radiological Society and the BWH Department of Radiology to attend the American College of Radiology (ACR) 2019 Annual Meeting in Washington, DC
- 2019 Ariadne DeSimone received a scholarship award from the American College of Radiology (ACR) to attend the Radiology Leadership Institute (RLI) Leadership Summit
- 2019 Junzi Shi was awarded funding from the Partners Centers of Expertise to attend the IHI National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care in Orlando, FL, December, 2019
- 2019 Junzi Shi was awarded funding from the Partners Centers of Expertise to attend the Connected Health Conference in Boston, MA, October, 2019